anti-aliasing on XSun

Darrell Esau Darrell.Esau at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 29 20:46:56 GMT 2002

Trying to hold back the tears...

I've always been a KDE person.

Among many other reasons, KDE has always looked, to me, much better than
GNOME.  One of the reasons for this is because of the font anti-aliasing that
came into QT long before it was available in GTK.

I recently had been forced to use XSun instead of XFree86, and as such all
anti-aliasing went away.. and KDE wasn't quite as beautiful anymore.

Now, however, I'm running RedHat 8 (remote displaying to a Sun X Server), and
I find that Gnome 2 (using GTK 2) is anti-aliasing nicely.

It almost brings me to tears to see GNOME better looking that KDE.

So.. my question:
Why?  Why does AA work on GNOME with XSun and not with QT/KDE?

And.. is there any way, or are there any plans to make font anti-aliasing for
QT/KDE not dependent on XFree86?

Thanks,
-d