No kio_audiocd nor kio_help when not root!

Guy Zelck gzelck at tiscalinet.be
Sun Oct 27 14:25:46 GMT 2002

Ciasa,

>On Saturday 26 October 2002 05:49 am, Guy Zelck wrote:
>
>>> I already "sniffed" that before and it's ok, look :
>>>
>>> [root at gz:/dev] # ll scd* brw-rw---- 1 guy cdwriter 11, 0 aug 30 2001
>>> scd0 brw-rw---- 1 guy cdwriter 11, 1 aug 30 2001 scd1 Why would kio_help
>>> fail also then? It's clearly sth. else. I see klauncher running as user
>>> 'guy' too, so nothing special there. We should look in the direction of
>>> why klauncher can't launch a kio slave.
>

>I wasn't referring to the help:/ ioslave, just audiocd:/.

I know, that's your mistake.

>  The two are not
>related.

I'm not that dumb to not know that. But they probably suffer from the same problem. The problem is with klauncher not being able to start them. They are there and they work for root.

>Try to run cdparanoia -vsQ and see if it can detect your cdrom, and if it can
>detect the contents of the cd.

This works ok, as I expected. It's not that I can't access my cds, I can play audio cds without any problems. I  can even burn cds. Don't concentrate on a cd access problem. It's not that!

I'll use 'strace' to see if that reveals sth.

Thanks for trying,
Guy.