Menu missing

David L. Smith davidleosmith at tutopia.com
Sat Oct 26 22:09:51 BST 2002

Thank you for your response, Robert. I would be happy to come back on good
terms with kde when it completely comes back to me. <sob>

Try this: in root. move your mouse down the icons on the left of the menu
editor and 'accidently' click the left button just long enough to drag any of
the menu items down into the next menu item (which should be a folder if you
want to follow along with this). Then move it back to its rightful place. The
kdemenu editor has no save (nor reset) for this. This is understandable if it
works like it should, btw, but on my system, at least, that item becomes
invisible to the other users that are not root and, as pointed out earlier,
even disappears on root's menu when he is in another gui.

On the other hand, it is still seeable in the root's kde menu editor though
not in any non-root kde menu editor.

I did a few other things on purpose, like putting the kde hex editor in a
place more easily found by the programmers. It disappeared from everyones
menu. Now, of course, it is easily run by going to the run command, but
somehow that detracts from the main purpose of having a gui.

What is really weird is that the kde control center just shows a blank instead
of the tree.

I also moved something on purpose, did a search, and found the two files that
were changed. I can find the missing items in there - several times - but am
waiting for someone to tell me a simple method of fixing this instead of
trying to figure out how the things were set up. I wish they used the plain
text method of keeping the data around. One caution - messing with this is
when I accidently moved the Preference menu item.

Can anyone else dup this? Of course you might have the near mutiny that I had
if this is actually a bug. Or is there something simple that I can do on my
part that I am missing.

blessings,
David L. Smith