what happened to my pretty text icons?

gabriel the.angel.gabriel at rogers.com
Sat Oct 12 20:58:02 BST 2002

to go to the beginning of the story
you have to understand that i have an ati all-in-wonder radeon card that's not
letting me watch tv or play tuxracer.  (yeah, yeah gatos is the deal, but i
don't understand anything i read there and can't find any comprehensive
documentation)  i didn't understand the weired error messages i was getting
andi didn't find anything on the web, so i tried the typical windows fix:
blow it away and fix it.  so since i'm running gentoo linux, i:

unmerged xfee86
and rm -rf /usr/X11R6

then i emerged xfree again and started kde again.  all my stuff was still
there, but now oddly enough my icon previews are all gibbled.  you can go
here to see what i mean:

http://www.cravingthesoulfood.com/gibb/1.png

what'd i miss?  how do i fix it?  kde took way to long to compile the first
time, i'd hate to have to do it again, but i'm not opposed to it.  for what
its worth i think it has something to do with my colour depth, but i really
have no idea how to change it.