KDE not releasing visited directories?

Johnny Ernst Nielsen johnny.ernst.nielsen at get2net.dk
Sat Oct 12 19:21:25 BST 2002

> > When I use Konq to view a CD, then navigate konq to view an
> > other directory not on the CD, then I can not unmount the CD
> > and get it out of the CD drive until I close Konq.
>
> This is a feature/bug with the way KDE uses fam: try "lsof
> /mnt/cdrom" and I expect you will see fam has opened the directory.
> The only way I know to cure this is to kill fam. Incidentally the
> problem occurs with all demountable devices.

Yep. Thanks.
Turning off fam makes the CD unmountable, even while Konq is looking
at it. Simply clears the view to the CD.
lsof however does _not_ report anything open on this system.

Unfortunately I need fam running so that KDE does not poll my
automounted CD and floppy every 5 seconds.
I thought I could get rid of this manually mounting and unmounting for
my non-tech desktop users.
But automount and fam are totally useless from within KDE as things
are now. :o(

Thanks for all your help so far folks.

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)