KDE not releasing visited directories?

Robin Atwood robin.atwood at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 12 17:47:35 BST 2002

On Saturday 12 Oct 2002 15:20, Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> > > When I use Konq to view a CD, then navigate konq to view an other
> > > directory not on the CD, then I can not unmount the CD and get it
> > > out of the CD drive until I close Konq.
> >
> > I find this happens if the CD's subdirectories are shown in the
> > tree listing, try making sure to collapse the branch under your CD
> > mount point.
>
> That trick does not work here.
> The CD is still stuck until I close the Konq window.

This is a feature/bug with the way KDE uses fam: try "lsof /mnt/cdrom" and I
expect you will see fam has opened the directory. The only way I know to cure
this is to kill fam. Incidentally the problem occurs with all demountable
devices.
HTH
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

"This tag line left intentionally blank"