Autostart runs the test editor instead of running scripts

Phil Edwards phil at jaj.com
Wed Oct 9 07:38:16 BST 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:24:23PM +0100, Sean McGlynn wrote:

> You need to have a .desktop file in the Autostart directory describing
> whatever you want to run. Have a look at the existing global ones in
> $KDEDIR/share/autostart (note the little 'a' at the beginning of this
> 'autostart')

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Is this file format documented anywhere?  I've tried making a simple one,
and the "Type=" line is causing problems.  There are only two different
Type's used in the share/autostart/* files, and neither of them works
properly when I try them myself.  Without a Type line at all, an error
box pops up, complaining about the missing line.

> If a non .desktop file is found then I think it just gets loaded according to
> whatever application is defined for it in File Associations. Your scripts are
> probably recognised as being something like x-shellscript, files of which
> type are, by default, opened by KWrite or Kate.

Okay, that makes sense.

Thanks.
Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002