XMMS and Arts -- KDE

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Oct 3 10:05:16 BST 2002

On Monday 23 September 2002 05.55, Paul Bryan wrote:
> Do you have the arts output plugin set in xmms?

This doesn't work on FreeBSD (some linux specific dlopening magic is what
makes it work a

If the original poster is interested, here's how you do it (everyone else,
this is FreeBSD specific, but something similar can probably be done on
Linux, I just don't know the details on setting up multiple channels there):

ls /dev/dsp*

If you get a list like this, and you probably will, most modern soundcards
will be auto set up this way:

ls /dev/dsp*
/dev/dsp     /dev/dsp0.0  /dev/dsp0.2  /dev/dsp0    /dev/dsp0.1  /dev/dsp0.3

If you only have dsp + dsp0, or possibly dsp0.0, you need to set it up by
hand:

put:
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

into /etc/sysctl.conf

In KControl tell arts to use /dev/dsp0.1
If you use esd, tell it to use /dev/dsp0.2 (just don't ask me how to do that,
I don't use esd)
Apps like XMMS and others will continue to use the defaults ( /dev/dsp0 or
/dev/dsp0.0 ) and you will still have /dev/dsp0.3 if you can come up with
anything else that still clashes.

Happy noisemaking,
--
Lauri Watts