Konsole and "screen" - Please help!

Mick Szucs mick at onramp.ca
Tue Oct 1 15:44:59 BST 2002

Hi all,

I've hunted high and low for the answer to this question, to no avail.
A previous post to this list came up with no answers, but my situation
is changing such that I really need a solution or I'll be forced to look
at alternatives to Konsole - which I'm loathe to do, because I love it.
Anyhow, firewall rules are being tightened around here that will prevent
me from sshing directly from my own box to the others on our network.
I'll have to use an intermediate machine as a jump-off point - so screen
is an obvious choice.

When I'm running multiple sessions via 'screen,' (by 'screen' I mean
GNU's screen manager program) Konsole's scrollback/history buffer
doesn't catch text that moves beyond the visible area.  This is true
both on my local system or via xterm shell on other boxes.

The changelog for Konsole 1.1.1 (which I'm running, under Redhat 7.3)
says "Fixed support for screen," but I'm unable to find further
information.

I'm assuming that this is a configuration issue, and not a bug, as
scrollback doesn't seem to have been a problem for any ssh-clients that
I've used in the Windows world.

ANY insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Even if all
you can offer is ideas as to where else I might look for answers.

Many Thanks,
Mick