PNG files read as text

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Nov 28 05:29:07 GMT 2002

RBE wrote:

> I have a screen snapshot which I need to send for others to review.
> The snapshoot is in .png format, which kmail pretends to recognize.
> Unfortunately, it sends it out as text, which means nothing can be read
> or, in this case, seen.
>
> Is there a workaround for this bug?

I don't know if this is a bug, but it is quite possible that you have
misdiagnosed the problem.

What did you set for: "Message property"?  If you chose: "MIME", then
the PNG file WILL be converted to text to send it -- that is the way it
is supposed to work.  You can also choose: "8-bit" and they will not be
converted but some people might have a problem with them.

What is important is that it have the correct MIME type when it is
received.  A PNG file should have the MIME type: "image/png".  It is
that piece of information that the browser on the other end needs to
read it.

To see this, look at the source for the message.

--
JRT