Spellcheck does not work in KDE3 but OK in KDE2

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 12:43:12 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 13 Nov 2002 12:36, gabriel wrote:
> i get exactly the same problem
>
> i'm running gentoo 1.2
> kde 3.04
> aspell only.

The problems lie in the file $HOME/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals.

KDE has a nasty habit of playing around with the settings in the section
[KSpell].

The settings should be something like this:

[KSpell]
KSpell_Client=1			# '1' means that spellchecking is enabled
KSpell_DictFromList=0		# '1' means that the user can choose a directory other
						 # than the one in KSpell_Dictionary
KSpell_Dictionary=deutsch	# Default directory
KSpell_Encoding=10	       # ISO encoding - 10th on list - in my case
				 		#ISO8859-15
KSpell_NoRootAffix=1		# settings for Ipell type directories
KSpell_RunTogether=1

Experience tells me that both Ispell and Aspell should be installed.  For
instance, if you select Ispell as a spell checker when it is not installed,
the system wreaks havoc with the [KSpell] section described above.

Hope this helps.

Now I can spellcheck my French and German texts - inshallah.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler