Spellcheck does not work in KDE3 but OK in KDE2

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 11:05:12 GMT 2002

Since I posted my last message, the KDE spell checker has started
to work - partially.

In the KDE control centre the drop-down box with the label
"Dictionary" remains grey with th words "Aspell default" or
"Ispell default".  I have a series of English aspell directories
and some French dictionaries in the /usr/lib/aspell directory

These dictionaries are properly accessible from with LyX. LyX
uses a different type of window library (xforms), so it is a
good cross-check.  The spell checking system in LyX works
correctly, so there is nothing wrong with the installtion of
aspell.

I had been trying to compile some programs and I had added new
versions of glibc etc. This messed up my system so I removed the
entire /usr directory and replaced it from a backup made before
I started messing around with the system.  I removed ispell and
aspell completely. I then reinstalled aspell from the SuSE CDs.

At present the spellchecker window appears, but it is impossible
to select a dictionary.  All that appears is the greyed-out
"Aspell|Ispell default". When the spell checker is started from
an application a spell check does take place, with corrections
being suggested.

When I did not have the French dictionaries installed, English
texts were corrected with an English dictionary.  Now that the
French dictionaries are installed, all the words suggested are
French words!

The key file for the starting the spell checker is
<prefix>/lib/libkspell.so.4. This contains the system calls and
a list of places for default dictionary. It looks for both
aspell and ispell type directories. I am sure that the fault
lies around there, with perhaps a fault in the procedure used to
call the spellchecker.

I have reported the matter to kde.org as a bug.