Antw: Re: kdm / kdm_greet

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 8 09:06:39 GMT 2002

Stefan Petersen wrote:
>>In the "configure" for Qt did you use: "-thread"??  Probably yes.
>
> yes
>

>>Did you edit your: "/etc/ld.so.conf" file??
>
> Only LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to qt, not ld.so.conf.
> A good idea, because I had also trouble with OpenOffice not
> finding /usr/X11R6/lib. Adding the path to ld.so.conf solved it.
>

>>Did you run [as root]: "ldconfig"??
>
> Yes
>

>>Did you edit your: "/etc/profile.d/qt.sh" file??
>
> No, I don't know what this file is ???

It is possible that your system doesn't use this, but I think that it is
now standard +/-.  That directory has several short scripts that:
"profile" sources.  It is done this way so an application can stick a
script in the directory and the effect is the same as if you edited
your: "profile" script.  This is the script for my system:

[qt.sh]:

	QTDIR="/usr/local/qt-3.1.0"

	PATH="$PATH:$QTDIR/bin"

	export QTDIR PATH

So, if your system uses this method, you can use this (but change your
path to Qt).  The scripts can have any name, but must have the
extension: "*.sh" if you are using Bash.

>>Note: you MUST rebuild KDE after changing to a new version of Qt!
>
> This is really a good point, because since now I thought I can change
> dynamically linked libraries, as long as they are binary compatible !?.
> At Trolltech they have announced, that qt-3.1 will be binary compatible with
> 3.0.5, but NOT with 3.0.3. Is this not the case with KDE ?
>
> Okay, 2 more questions then:
>
> What is "/etc/profile.d/qt.sh" ?

See above.

> Is KDE binary compatible between different qt-versions?

Programs built against 3.0.5 should run with 3.1.0.  But, the new
version of KDE requires the new version of Qt (3.1.0).  And, you have to
rebuild the whole thing, you can't just build the new additions.

Also, you probably linked to "qt-3.0.5" rather than "qt3".  This may
confuse LD.SO especially if the linker used an RPath.  I have been using
the actual name rather than a link [qt3] because the link tended to
confuse KDE and (therefore) have to at least relink the whole thing.

In any case, if you have a new Qt libary, Make will see the new library
and want to rebuild the whole thing (probably even if you did use a link
rather than the actual name because it will check the date).

--
JRT