[kde] kmail: MH --> MAILDIR

Jürgen Vollmer juergen at informatik-vollmer.de
Tue Nov 5 14:50:39 GMT 2002

Hi everybody,

I asked some time ago:
> is there a program which converts all my mails stored in MH format into
> maildir format?
> No I don't want to it via MH --> MBOX --> MAILDIR (it's about 700 MByte mail,
> and some mails are large (~2-6 MB)

I have written such a program myself (thanks to Craig Dickson <crdic at yahoo.com>
who gave me the essential procmail hint).

Please find the small shell script under:
  http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/mh2maildir.html

From the "man-page"
usage: mh2maildir [options] old new [folder]
transform mails stored in MH format into MAILDIR format using procmail(1)

        -h     Show help piped through more
        -H     Show help.
        -f     Force overwriting the `new' directory.
               Default: it should not exist and is created by mh2maildir.
        -kmail Create subdirectories names as used by kmail.
               Default: use same names as used by MH.
               This flag must be used togethwer with -R
        -q     Be quiet.
        -r     Mark mails as read.
               Default: mails are marked as unread.
        -v     Show version.
        -R     Process recursively all subdirectories of `old'.
               For each subdirectory of `old' a subdirectory in `new' with
               the same name is created.
               Default: only the MH files contained in `old' are processed.

Arguments:
        old    The MH mail directory.
        new    The MAILDIR mail directory.
        folder Store all mails below the `folder' of `new'.
               Default: store them direct below `new'.

The integrity of the transformed mails is checked (using diff)
The timestamp of the new mail file is set to old one.
The MH mail files are not modified.

With best regrads
Jürgen

--
Dr.rer.nat. Juergen Vollmer, Viktoriastrasse 15, D-76133 Karlsruhe
Tel: +49(721) 9204871 Fax: +49(721) 24874