DCOP, artsd crashing, how to troubleshoot?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri May 31 08:10:09 BST 2002

mjinks-kde at wicked.uchicago.edu wrote:

> Greetings.  KDE newbie here, asking lots of open-ended questions.
>
> I have a user on a Debian 3.0 machine (KDE 2.2.2) who is having a number
> of problems which might or might not be related.  Two presented here.
>
> The first issue we noticed was that when he logs in, the CPU load goes
> sky-high and we get a popup saying that the sound daemon has exceeded
> CPU limits and will be shut down.  This also happens when I log in to
> the machine using my own account.  Other sound programs work fine (I've
> tested "play", RealPlayer, and the GNOME sound daemon, all with no
> issues).
>
> His sound card is an Intel i810 built in to the motherboard of a new
> Dell OptiPlex in case that helps; from dmesg:
>
> Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.04, 09:47:22 Nov 28 2001
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
> i810: Intel ICH2 found at IO 0xcc40 and 0xc800, IRQ 17
> i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5360 (Analog Devices AD1885)
> i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not
> present), total channels = 2
> i810_audio: setting clocking to 41201

No I don't know how to fix it.  But, there is a very high probability
that it is a configuration issue.

Is there an IRQ 17? (It looks like you pasted this so it isn't a typo).
My motherboard doesn't have one but it has VIA chips.

Have you tried the sound configure widget in the Control Center?

> The other KDE-related problem that he's having is that DCOP will
> apparently crash occasionally; I'm not yet sure whether this happens
> mid-session, or if he sometimes logs out and it doesn't clean up after
> itself.  At any rate, when the problem comes up, he can't open new
> terminals or do much of anything KDE-related.  The only workaround we've
> found is to switch to a virtual term and remove his .DCOPserver*
> directories; then he can log in and everything is fine.

Have you tried running: "kdeinit" in the session where it crashed?  I
find that if I leave KDE 3.0.1 branch running for a day or so that in
needs to be reinitiated or it gets flaky.  Clearly a bug, but running:
"kdeinit" seems to promptly fix it.  I don't know if DCOP had crashed or
not as the first think it does is shut it down and then it starts a new
instance of DCOP.

> For both of these issues, I simply have no idea how to produce decent
> debugging information.  I've never lived on KDE myself so I'm unfamiliar
> with its layout and its quirks.  How should I investigate these issues?
> Where to RTFM?

> Or, are these known problems?  A quick search of the
> mailing list archives didn't turn up anything.

If you don't get the KDE crash handler automatically (it usually pops up
when a KDE app crashes), you can always use the core file that should be
left somewhere.