Xterminal freezing on KDE

Eric N. Valor ericv at cruzio.com
Thu May 30 05:29:14 BST 2002

I've got some new information on this issue:

Whenever I start an Xterm of any sort in KDE (or for that matter,
seemingly, any window manager) my XF86_SVGA process pegs at 98% processor
and the whole system hangs up.  I get zilch from any log files.

  I'm using a dual PIII-850 with 256mb RAM (soon to be closer to a full
gig).  The video card is an older Number Nine AGP Reality 334 utilizing an
S3 processor.  I've tried switching to the "xserver-s3" video server with
the exact same results.

Can anyone help me out here?  I've never seen this on any system I've ever
built before.

=====================================

Howdy folks:

I'm setting up a new system and have an interesting problem where any time
I start an Xterm (either xterm, konsole or gnome-terminal) the whole system
completely locks up for 30-60 seconds.  Then, when in the Xterm and
scrolling (like, while compiling a kernel) the system freezes and the
scrolling text goes by **very** slowly.  When its all done the system comes
back to regular life.

This only happens in Xterms.  Using Konqueror, Mozilla, Netscape, or any
other window function works normal.

I'm using Debian Potato upgraded to the "testing" packages with a 2.4.18
kernel.

Any ideas?
--
Eric N. Valor
ericv at cruzio.com
PGP Key 2048/1024 227B04CB
Key Fingerprint = 766C CA15 0FFF E54B 2FEE  C7D7 0F87 3AFB 227B 04CB

: This Space Intentionally Left Blank :

Eric N. Valor
ericv at cruzio.com
PGP Key 2048/1024 227B04CB