konqueror 3.0.1 fonts problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 28 02:40:05 BST 2002

Gaƫl Roualland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a weird problem with the web browser in konqueror 3.0.1 :
> pages show with little blocks instead of letters for default fonts most
> of the time. I don't know if thta's a know issue...
>
> I'm using an XFree 4.1 enabled server with both true type fonts with the
> builtin xserver freetype and Xft/Xrender. Most fonts appear between
> parentheses in konqueror's font selection page, and only a few have
> valid previews, but the problem remains whatever font I select. Other
> kde apps (as well as konqueror's file browser) work fine.
>
> This is probably not a lot to start, so feel free to ask for more
> details as needed :) Thanks for your help,

In general, the boxes mean that it couldn't find the needed character in
the font encoding that you are using.

If this is a problem with only special characters then it is a Windows
issue.  The web page either didn't list an encoding in the Head or it
lied and said: "iso8859-1" when it is actually: "cp 1252" or something.

Obviously this only happens when you use a web site since you
consistently use the same encoding on your own system.

Try setting the encoding under: "View => Set Encoding"

Or, check the source and complaint to the webmaster if it is wrong.

Also note that you need to have a font with the encoding you choose for
it to work.

--
JRT