Running kde progs in current environment

Nick Thompson nickthompson at agere.com
Tue May 21 15:23:20 BST 2002

Tony,

I am running systems with ClearCase and KDE using both Sparc/Solaris8
and RedHat Linux. I have not seen this problem when simply launching
programs from the command line within a view. I have had a problem using
XEmacs in server mode when attaching new buffers to a XEmacs server
started outside the view. In this case a wrote a script which may or may
not be helpfull:

#!/bin/zsh
filename=$1

if [ ! -z "${CLEARCASE_ROOT}" ]; then
    if [ "${filename#/}" != "${filename}" ]; then
        filename="${CLEARCASE_ROOT}${filename}"
    else
        filename="${CLEARCASE_ROOT}`pwd`/${filename}"
    fi
fi

${EDITOR} ${filename}

This appends the view extended pathname on to the front of the file name
when necassary, so the the full /view/<viewname>/vobs/... path is used
to access the file by ${EDITOR}.

I though kdeinit processes where only forked if you used the wapper
functions (kdeinit_wrapper, etc) to launch kde progs. In this case I can
imagine that you would lose your environment. If you run programs
directly they should keep the environment. At least they do here
(KDE2.2.2). What OS are you using? IIRC Nortel use HP-UX? (I used to
work at HAL03)

Nick.

--
  / \/ / / __\/ // /\ Nick Thompson          | Agere Systems Ltd