Serious issues with DCOP

Joe Sullivan flamester at telia.com
Sat May 18 03:08:52 BST 2002

Hey all,

Full install info below. But a basic description of the problem:

KDE3 reverts back to the kdm login whenever trying to login to KDE3. KDE2,
Gnome, various window managers all log in fine.

I'm sure it's something to do with DCOP. I've read similar problems being had
on various Usenet groups and such, but never found a solution that worked.

The error messages I find in logs include:

DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1965' to 'kded'
Error: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

And a similar error follows for knotify.

Steps found on the web/usenet taken which haven't worked:

1- Delete everything in /tmp and any DCOP/ICE files (incl. hidden) found in
the home directory.  Didn't help.

2- Tried creating a new user. New user couldn't log in to KDE3 either.

Anyone know anything about how DCOP works enough to get me out of this?

The install process done, in order (all SuSE RPMs taken from SuSE ftp, all
current):
1- Install SuSE 7.3 with kde2.
2- Update all installed programs with SuSE online update.
3- Upgrade kernel to 2.4.16 (SuSE RPM)
4- Upgrade X to 4.2.0 (SuSE RPMs)
5- Install all base packages of KDE3 (SuSE RPMs), except the kde2
compatibility one. Not needed if KDE2 is installed, right?
6- Install some of the KDE3 apps (SuSE RPMs)

Still uses kdm from KDE2. Add 'kde3' so I can log in to KDE3.

So it works fine for a while. Log in, reboot, etc. No problems for a while...

Then it stopped letting me in. Logging in gives an X "flash" and reverts back
to the kdm login screen.

The only really major thing I did during the login session before it started
this problem was font install.

I used Kfontinst from the control center while logged in as a user (switched
to superuser mode of course). Installed fonts from my Windoze partition to
Linux, with no problems.

So no logging in to KDE3 after that. I've tried doing the exact same procedure
on another computer and I can't seem to duplicate the problem!

Any suggestions on what caused this? Searching in bugs.kde.org turned up a few
results, but none gave a solution that worked for me. (I really wish they'd
post a quick rundown of what's been fixed in 3.0.1!!!)

Anyone? :-( I tried SuSE's KDE list, but no response.

Thanks,
Joe