Starting KDE3 with KDM

René Kälin rkaelin90 at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 12:23:39 BST 2002

Hello list!

I've got the following problem with KDE3 on SuSE 7.3: I have deleted KDE2
and installed the new version 3. When I start X manually, everything works.
But when I want to log in with KDM, KDE3 doesn't start up. Just a shell
console window in the upper left edge is appearing.
Something is strange too: I log in as root, start up KDE3 and configure it
using the control center. But the changes don't take any effect! I read that
there has to be a file /opt/kde3/share/config/kdmrc but it doesn't exist. I
just found a file /etc/kde3rc. In that file, the directory /etc/opt/kde3 is
named and there I found the kdmrc file. However, changes in that file don't
take any effect in the appearance of KDM.

Now I tell you which changes I've done in the configure files:
I've changed the directory of KDM in the /etc/init.d/xdm file.
And I've added "export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11RC/bin/kde3" to the ~/.bashrc
file.

Can anyone help me logging in correctly with KDM?

Thanx
René