Kmail 3?

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Sun May 5 14:41:31 BST 2002

On Sunday 05 May 2002 23:23, Marian Stepka wrote:
> Howzit;
>
> > I thought I remember seeing a place to limit the size of downloads (maybe
>
> it's
>
> > in the filters?), but I can't find it now.  However, you are
> > correct--Linux in general is much more virus/worm-proof than Windows.
> > There are some viruses in the wild written to affect Linux, but generally
> > Linux e-mail clients are much less likely to be the mechanism by which a
> > Linux box
>
> becomes
>
> > infected.  Even if your Linux box does get infected from an e-mail (that
> > you manually run), as long as you're not logged in as a privileged user,
> > the damage will be limited to you own files rather than OS files.
>
> I think that no filter will work perfectly. One thing is that spamers
> change techniques for sending spam. In the case of appended Win or DOS
> files which contain something bad is best solution from my point of view to
> set up filter for attachments. Even they're not able to infect whole system
> or infect linux box at all, they wasting bandwidth and also money for
> dial-up connections.

Yes, I agree that limiting the size of emails won't prevent viruses.
However, this Linux box and my old Acorn that I also use are almost immune to
Windows viruses.   The big annoyance is downloading 500K of emails (!) and
finding 450K of that is Klez-e virus attachments.     I've got the mailer on
my Acorn set so that, for any email over 10K, it pops up a box showing the
email's headers and asking "Download / Skip / Delete?" so I can kill the
virus/spam on my ISP's mailserver without wasting download time.   Very
handy.     Much quicker than logging in to my ISP's website and killing it
from there.

cr