Kmail 3?

Matt Harrell mattharrell3 at attbi.com
Sun May 5 00:50:57 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 20:16, cr wrote:
> Having just had *three* timewasting emails sent me with huge attachments
> courtesy of Klez-e and Mickey$oft's virus-friendly operating system, I'm
> very keen to try Kmail 3 (is it?) which reputedly has a facility to block
> the download of emails over a specified size.
>
> What do I need to do to get Kmail 3?    (If it is 3, that is).   I'm
> currently running RH 7.2 with Gnome and Kmail 1.3.1   from KDE 2.2-11
> (I've previously called it Kmail 2 in error).    Do I have to install all
> of KDE 3?
>
> I assume, by the way, that Linux email programs are immune from klez-e?
>
> cr

I thought I remember seeing a place to limit the size of downloads (maybe it's
in the filters?), but I can't find it now.  However, you are correct--Linux
in general is much more virus/worm-proof than Windows.  There are some
viruses in the wild written to affect Linux, but generally Linux e-mail
clients are much less likely to be the mechanism by which a Linux box becomes
infected.  Even if your Linux box does get infected from an e-mail (that you
manually run), as long as you're not logged in as a privileged user, the
damage will be limited to you own files rather than OS files.

--
Matt Harrell
matt at mattharrell.net
http://www.mattharrell.net