root look & feel

Adam Luchjenbroers adam at luchjenbroers.com
Wed Jun 19 08:45:25 BST 2002

> What on earth is the problem? RIght click on your desktop and choose
> another wallpaper, as well as another background color, just as you would
> as any other user.

Apparently for him it didn't work that way. SuSE is supposed to reset the
root wallpaper every time X is started

> I'm on SuSE right now and just tried it, it works perfectly normally.

Odd, either you have not restarted X, got an old version of SuSE or you have
found what is technically a bug.

> Does it really take all that much brain power to figre that out?

No, but when the simple config tools don't work you need to know a bit more
to fix the problem.

> Oh, and by the way: Don't run as root. That's why the ugly wall paper is
> there, to scare you away.

Or at least to remind you where you are. It is bad practice to do it, if he
accidentally deletes some important file or folder it's his mistake.

The practice of using a non-priveleged account not only helps protect you
from virii and cracking attempts, it protects you from yourself as well.

> Log in as a normal user and use su - and sux to do what you need to as
> root.

Well, he's free to do it his own way, though I must admit that is the way I
normally do it.