WOW. . .those screenshots of 3.1Alpha are fantastic

Daniel Smart smartd at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 05:22:05 BST 2002

>From: Derek Fountain <fountai at hursley.ibm.com>
>To: kde at mail.kde.org
>Subject: Re: [kde] WOW. . .those screenshots of 3.1Alpha are fantastic
>Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:20:50 +0100
>
>This used to be discussed a bit on the development lists but hasn't been
>for
>some time now. The fact is that KDE developers don't have the discipline to
>focus purely on stability. As soon as a release is made, the new
>development
>tree is opened. The bug reports which the new users of the "stable" system
>supply tend to fall on completely distracted ears.

Bearing in mind that they do this for fun, unles of course you are paying
them, why shouldn't they do what they want to do?
If the success of KDE is that important to you, ensure it happens, fix bugs,
or if you cant, pay someone to fix bugs.
>I remember, oh, must be a couple of years ago, I posted a request to
>kde-devel that the new development tree is left closed for a period after a
>stable release so bug reports in the stable system get complete and rapid
>attention. I just got flamed.
Which is entirely unreasonable considering the thousands of dollars (pounds
or whatever) you have invested in KDE. Of course if one of those freeloaders
(like me) who got it for free were to complain that would be unforgivable.

>My suggestion is how Linus works with the
>development of Linux - sometimes he doesn't open the new development
>release
>for months, until he's sure the stable tree is really stable. That's why
>Linux is stable and KDE isn't, and, in fact can never be really stable.

Sometimes of course he accepts radical changes to the design of critical
components which completely screw everything, and then refuses fixes on the
grounds that they are to radical to be included during "a period of
stabalisation." (The VM debacle).
>Don't waste your breath asking KDE developers to concentrate on stability.
>It's not what they want to do, and as we've seen in recent threads, they
>are
>only really interested in doing what they want to do.

I would recommend that if you dont like their attitude, you have two
choices:
1) Stop paying them.
2) Go and spend some time doing what you want to do.
>Given the way things are, KDE users can assist by getting the alphas and
>betas and testing them, and reporting bugs while developers are still
>focused
>on getting the code right. Waiting until a "stable" KDE release is made is
>too late.

Dan "Don't ask what foo can do for you" Smart

--
Dan Smart - smartd at hotmail.com (203) 981 8968
"Every day I learn a little more, and vast new vistas of ignorance unfold