Donations in kde bug tracking system

daniel dan at netgenetix.com
Fri Jul 5 23:11:52 BST 2002

allow me to further explain my points

>> i personally don't like the idea of money mixing with OpenSource
concepts.

linux is an free-software project, but numerous companies, namely the ones
you mentioned have been distributing it with closed-source software at the
base of the system.  most notable of these programs is suse's yast and yast2
which impliment closed source software to configure/update your system.
caldera also hase a questionable reputation when it comes to the use of
non-free software in conjuntion with linux.

sony has recently released linux for the ps2 and has conveniently found ways
around the gpl that don't _technically_ violate the gpl.  but in the words
of one user: "it does some pretty shitty things" to it.
www.execpc.com/~halkun/PS2/

the fact is that free software is _not_ a capitalist concept, it is in fact
the complete opposite.  work is done by users to make a good product, not to
get paid.  it's what's driven projects like apache and the kernel itself --
two things that suse and caldera would be nothing without.

>> money has the long-standing tratition of tainting things with greed and
>> impeding progress/innovation.

> If anything, I can argue the opposite. Companies are
> usually forced to progress/innovate to be able to survive.
> If they don't move, they are left out of market.

one word: micros~1.

> Please explain why you think money can hurt progress/innovation in KDE.

i more or less stated this above, but money hurts an OpenSource project by
corrupting the ideals behind the project.  sure, i'd love to give some cash
to the guys who build this gui.  gods know they deserve a hell of a lot more
financial aid than they're getting, but i'd rather do that in an informal
venue like a launch party or by offering some work of my own in return.
setting up a system which allows the donation of cash to individual projects
just leaves things wide open for corruption.

hypothetical example:

company A wants some project to be developed.  so they not only start it,
but then contribute LOTS of money to it.  developers flock to the project,
drawn to it by the lure of the fat cheque and suddenly, company A now has a
new shiny plugin for their closed-source software that will now dominate the
linux platform.  additional money can be contributed to projects that serve
no other purpose save keeping talented programmers away from their
competition's projects etc. etc.

when you enter money into the equasion, corruption inevitably follows.
corporations and rich individuals are then given a means to shape, direct,
and control the outcome of a project that was originally founded by a
public.

> They would still be free to work on whatever they see fit, I am not
> suggesting any restriction at all. And nobody would push nobody.
> Rather than a "push" it would be an incentive. And there is nothing
> wrong on giving incentives to developers, after all if someone is
> willing paying for fixing a bug, then the bug is hurting.

not to be mean, but this isn't a very well informed opinion.  people are
greedy.  developers and blue-blooded bourgeouis alike.  at present, the
Free-software culture is out of the reach of the money-driven world because
it's main engine, the software itself remains free of control from people
who would push to own a piece of it.

all of the above said, i would like to suggest that we, as a community try
to interact on more personal level in the form of launch parties and the
like.  it would give the large number of us, the users the chance to meet
the developers and pay proper respects.  money can always be involved at
that level, the community saying 'thank you' in the form of gifts etc. to
the leaders of said community.  but a system designed to pay developers to
work on certain projects is crossing the line.

...i guess that makes 4 cents.
am i the only one with this point of view?

daniel a. g. quinn
starving programmer

you cannot harm one who has dreamed a dream like mine.
 - ojibwe prayer