Exit KDE without shutting down X server

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Dec 23 01:37:08 GMT 2002

Robert Labrie wrote:
> Is there a way to exit KDE 3.0.3 without shutting down the X server? I was
> just going to write a BASH script to signal 9 everything with 'kde' in it,
> but surely there is a better way. Please let me know.

If you start KDE with KDM, there is NO way to exit KDM without shutting down the X server.

The stock KDM will allow you to run a (non-X) console session if you want.

On the other hand, if you start X from the console with: "startx" you might be able to exit KDE
without shutting down the X server.  To do this, it is necessary that KDE be started from an
Xterm.  So, from the console try:

	startx -e startkde -DPI 100

Then logout of KDE and see what happens.

--
JRT