Help!! problems in setting up XDMCP server with kdm

Alan Truesdale alan at truechem.ca
Mon Aug 26 00:05:07 BST 2002

On Sunday 25 August 2002 12:33 pm, Deepak Chawla wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problems in setting up kdm as an XDMCP server. I followed the
> XDMCP-HowTO document that I found on the web, but couldn't configure it.
> Here's what my configuration files look like (uncommented portions
> only). I hope someone can help me.
> Thanks
> deepak.

What distro what version of kde?
Did you restart kdm by switching to run level 1 and back to 5?

Depending on your distro and what software has been installed there might be
any number of kdmrc files make sure you are editing the right one.

I was working on a redhat 7.3 box the other day with kde 3.02 the system had
ltsp and k12ltsp o(r parts there of) installed. I suffered endless
frustration till I realized /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc kde 3.02's real kdmrc
file existed. To that point I was modifying /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc  and
/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc with no joy of course.

************section allowing remote access************
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
KeyFile=/usr/share/config/kdm/xdm-keys
Willing=su nobody -c /etc/X11/xdm/Xwilling
Xaccess=/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess

*****************full kdmrc file************************

[Desktop0]
BackgroundMode=Flat
BlendBalance=100
BlendMode=NoBlending
ChangeInterval=60
Color1=30,114,160
Color2=192,192,192
CurrentWallpaper=0
LastChange=0
MinOptimizationDepth=1
MultiWallpaperMode=NoMulti
Pattern=
Program=
ReverseBlending=false
UseSHM=false
Wallpaper=
WallpaperList=
WallpaperMode=NoWallpaper

[General]
PidFile=/var/run/xdm-pid
Xservers=/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

[Shutdown]
HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
LiloCmd=/sbin/lilo
LiloMap=/boot/map
RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot
UseLilo=false

[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoReLogin=false
Reset=/usr/share/config/kdm/Xreset
Resources=/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
Session=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
Setup=/usr/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/usr/share/config/kdm/Xstartup

[X-*-Greeter]
AntiAliasing=true
AuthComplain=false
DefaultUser=alan
EchoMode=OneStar
FailFont=helvetica,12,-1,0,50,0,0,0,0,0
FocusPasswd=true
GUIStyle=Platinum
GreetFont=Helvetica [Adobe],14,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
GreetString=Welcome to %s at %n
GreeterPosFixed=false
GreeterPosX=100
GreeterPosY=100
HiddenUsers=adm,alias,amanda,apache,bin,bind,daemon,exim,falken,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,httpd,ident,imnadm,ingres,kmem,lp,mail,mailnull,man,mta,mysql,named,news,nfsnobody,nobody,nscd,ntp,operator,pcap,pop,postfix,postgres,qmaild,qmaill,qmailp,qmailq,qmailr,qmails,radvd,reboot,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,sendmail,shutdown,squid,sympa,sync,tty,uucp,xfs,xten,
Language=es
LogoArea=Logo
LogoPixmap=/root/logo.png
MaxShowUID=65535