praveen.ray at crcnet1.com
Wed Aug 21 14:52:35 BST 2002
Try following steps (as root)
1. Make sure 'xfs' is up and running :
> service xfs status
2. If not running start it :
> service xfs start
This starts the XFont Server (most probably it was already running)
3. Create a directory called 'TrueType' , if not there already :
> mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
4. If you do not have TTF files, steal them from a Windows 2000/NT machine
Mostly in winnt/system32/fonts directory. If not there, search for *.ttf files
in Windows directory and 'ftp' all *.ttf files to the newly created directory
in step 3.
5. go back to the Linux Machine and go to the newly created directory (still
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
6. run following command :
> ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
This would create a 'fonts.scale' file in current directory. Make sure the
first line of the file is a number (It probably is).
7. copy this file to a new one :
> cp fonts.scale fonts.dir
8. Add this newly created directory to Font Server Path :
> chkfontpath -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
9. Restart 'xfs' :
> service xfs stop
> service xfs start
10. Make sure 'Use Anti Aliasing' is turned on in KDE
11. You should be able to see newly installed TT fonts in all KDE apps font
12. Sometime on my machine (RH7.1) 'xfs' server dies for no reason so I have
to keep restarting it.
Let us know if this works.
On Tuesday 20 August 2002 11:49 pm, Jordan Capps wrote:
> I've got a bit of an odd problem. Too make a long story short, I
> recently changed distros to Red Hat and video cards to a GeForce 4 (both
> of which I did at the same time) and I can't seem to get AA fonts to
> work in KDE 3. I know that the GeForce 4 drivers aren't in the kernel
> yet so I'm using the vesa drivers and am limited to 16-bit color, but
> that shouldn't be the problem I don't think.
> I can however get AA fonts to work in Opera under KDE3 by adding
> QT_XFT=1 and QT_XFT to my PATH in my Opera script, so I know that AA
> works, I just can't get the rest of KDE's fonts to be anti-aliased (the
> box is checked, but the AA fonts aren't there). Any ideas?
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
More information about the kde