Can't get Thiz Dialup to recognized Modem

James Lawrence geos52 at ev1.net
Tue Aug 20 19:23:47 BST 2002

Dear Folks,
   I have recently purchased a new computer with ThizLinux Version 5.0.
I am trying to get onto the Internet using ThizDialup after having put
my username, password and the telephone number of my ISP inThizConfig.
When I use ThizDialup it acts like it is calling my ISP but it is not as
there is only a dial tone on the phone line. It seems that it is not
communicating with the modem and does not recognize the modem.
    I have been able to use the UNIX Terminal window to recognize the
modem and dial up my ISP but there are handshaking problems and the an
ISP Tech says that all their modems use PAP and not CHAP. I do not
expect help from you on this but this information might help in
diagnosing the problem with KDE.
   I am communicating with you using my other computer which has Windows
98 and Netscape.
   If you can not help can you direct me to persons or organizations who
might be able to help?
   Thank you!

Jim Lawrence
Houston, TX