Recurring "Welcome to KDE 3.0.2!"

Matt Harrell matt at mattharrell.net
Mon Aug 5 06:45:17 BST 2002

Hello,

I recently switched from Red Hat 7.3 to Mandrake 8.2.  Shortly after that
switch, I upgraded KDE to 3.0.2.  Shortly after that, I started experiencing
a problem with KDE.  Now, whenever I log in (as either my account or as
root), I get the "Welcome to KDE 3.0.2!" wizard, asking me to set up my
preferences.  I don't know what I did to trigger this.  What I suspect is
that it has something to do with /tmp.  I had, originally, had /tmp as a
separate, 50 MB, filesystem.  I was running into problems with certain
programs (OpenOffice, Mozilla) using /tmp for things that required a great
deal of space.  So, I commented out /tmp in /etc/fstab and simply had it part
of the / filesystem.  I made sure that /tmp was rwxrwxrwt.  It still has
there permissions, and seems OK.  However, it was after this that I started
having the problem.

Any ideas why I keep getting the setup wizard and how to fix it?

--
Matt Harrell
matt at mattharrell.net
http://www.mattharrell.net