DCOP Problem with 2 KDE3.0 users

Sean McGlynn sean at tmiau.com
Sun Aug 4 23:13:57 BST 2002

Hello Dave,

Just guessing, but it sounds as though maybe the different userids are
sharing certain KDE-related files and the first one to log on after a reboot
gets hold of the files. Maybe it's the files in /tmp that are responsible and
they are getting deleted with each reboot, hence first userid to log on after
that "wins the prize!" :-)
This shouldn't happen as startkde usually takes care of such problems. Just
in case though, you might want to try this little clear-up to see.

*as root and without any gui running*

cd /tmp
rm -rf .ICE-unix
chmod 777 .ICE-unix
chmod +t .ICE-unix

rm -rf kde*
rm -rf ksocket*
rm -rf mcop*
rm -rf dcop*

cd /home/each_one_of_your_userids # still as root :-)
rm -rf .kde*  ## or rename if you want to keep certain settings
rm -rf .ICE*
rm -rf .DCOP*
rm -rf .MCOP*
rm -rf .Xauthority
rm -rf .ICEauthority

Then reboot for the sake of a fresh start and see if things are any better.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean McGlynn
sean at tmiau.com