100% CPU - kdeinit / klauncher

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Sun Aug 4 02:52:24 BST 2002

On Saturday 03 August 2002 06:31 pm, Tim wrote:
| On Saturday 03 August 2002 04:04 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
| > Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
| > > On Saturday 03 August 2002 10:36 am, Felix Seeger wrote:
| > > |

| > > When I do CTRL-ESC, it pops up a window that says "system guard -
| > > process table" and then on top of that pops up an error dialog with
| > > that message;
|
| the
|
| > > rest of the window is blank.

| > We are guessing :-|

| I have only had success at running SysGuard as root.

Yes, I can run it as root!

I tried to do the obvious thing and setuid /usr/local/bin/ksysguard, but then
it refuses to run at all, saying that the KDE libraries are not designed to
run setuid root.

The ksysguardd (daemon process, I presume) is already setgid kmem, which would
seem to be correct.  I'm not sure what protection is really provided by
refused to run the KDE libraries as suid root but allowing them to be run
directly by root, but I might just work around that protection by turning it
into a script that invokes "op" or something.

Thanks for the basic hint.

PS: Re-running kdeinit, of course, doesn't make any difference.  It's the
permissions that are lacking.  Possibly a FreeBSD thing.

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts at babbleon.org (personal)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org