kde3 fatal servor error

Patrick O'Melia pomelia at visi.com
Thu Apr 25 14:40:34 BST 2002

I've compiled kde3 for rh 7.2 and now get a fatal server error and startx
won't run any desktop. I think the message was something like the following:

Initaiating font path element unix/:7100
fatal server error
default font 'fixed'

Upon advise from red hat I commented out the fontpath entry in the
XF86Config-4 file as well as XF86Config. This seemed to be sort of a
workaround in that all desktops would boot again. However, I can't run
Xconfigurator without getting the problem again, and when I halt the machine,
70 % of the shutdown tests now FAIL.

Any ideas, or info ?

Thanks !