News Ticker "nice" setting

Joe Sullivan flamester at telia.com
Mon Apr 22 03:29:02 BST 2002

Hey all,

I keep a News Ticker running in a child panel at the top of my screen, which
includes headlines from 25-30 locations.

This is all fine until it goes to check on new headlines (2 hour increments).
Then it takes over my system until it clears up.

I noticed that if I change the "nice" value for news ticker to 19, this
doesn't happen. I can keep working without interruption, and it just grabs
news with what sytem resources are free without disturbing me.

The applet/panel load on startup. Is there any way to set the nice value to
"19" automatically on startup? Doing it by hand isn't that big of a hassle,
but this is Linux, so there must be an easier way. ;-)

Thanks,
Joe