KDE 3.0 DCOP/kdeinit error

Casey Scott casey at cdstech.net
Sun Apr 21 04:30:32 BST 2002

Hi,

        Yesterday, I installed KDE 3.0 onto a system running slackware 8.0
using the slackware packages available at the ftp site. Now, I can not
start kde. I get an error that a list of connections can not be read from
a .DCOP_<system name> file. The following information is also related:

_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOP: register 'anonymous-741' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOPServer up and running.
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-741'
kpersonalizer: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared
object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/kde3/bin/kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open
shared
object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object
file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
/opt/kde3/bin/kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open
shared
object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
AUDIT: Sat Apr 20 18:04:22 2002: 727 X: client 5 rejected from IP
192.168.1.7 port 3544
Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

        I can't find any permission problems. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Casey