HELP! kde3 starts under only one user

Mary Stamper mstamper77 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 00:58:03 BST 2002

Uninstalled kde2 (rpms, directories, paths) and installed kde3 on suse 7.3 using suse rpms.

I have 4 users on my system. kde3 will start up for only one user. The other users, including
root, all get the following error on start-up:

DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1038' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1042' to 'knotify'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.

I created a brand new user and get the following additional errors :

/usr/X11R6/bin/startkde: copy_default_user: command not found
/usr/X11R6/bin/startkde: create_default_desktop: command not found
iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/mtest/.ICEauthority
DCOPServer up and running.
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2388' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2392' to 'knotify'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
---------
I have done the following:

1) checked environment variables (QTDIR,LD_LIBRARY_PATH,PATH,KDEDIR)
	- correct for all users
2) run strace -o kdeinit for the one user that works and one of the ones that does not, and diffed
the output. It is not different in any significant way (only things like session and process
numbers differ, as would be expected)

3) done the whole procedure as described in the susefaq (might add the the user id that CAN launch
kde3 worked fine without any of this):

created the kdmrc and Xaccess links if missing
edit the files in /etc/SuSEconfig and change: qt2 ? qt3 and kde2 ? kde3
edit /etc/init.d/xdm, change: kde2 ? kde3
Add kde3 to /usr/X11R6/bin/wmlist
Add kde3 to the sessionlist in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
Add kde3 to /etc/ld.so.conf
run ldconfig
run rcxdm start

4) gone back to the suse web site and downloaded the latest kde packages

5) I believe, but cannot be absolutely positive, that this problem began to occur after upgrading
to xfree4.2 using the suse packages. No errors on the x logs however, and have no trouble running
other windowmanagers for the userid's that cannot start kde3.

6) I've run ldconfig -p to make sure that all of the references make sense and they do (qt3,kde3).

7) run rpm -v on entire rpm data base to make sure there are no missing packages that could be
causing the problem.

8) copied the .kde directory from the one working user to the others, but no luck

9) cleaned /tmp of any old kde-related stuff

I'm now at my wits end trying to figure this one out. Anybody have a clue as to where to look
next?