Cannot ./configure after installing KDE3

Christian Rudolph renifer at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 17 23:06:57 BST 2002

Hi all,

I have recently installed KDE3 and I love it.
I run RH 7.2 with all updates applied.

Some of the KDE3 packages complained so I did not
install them.  The packages are:

   kdelibs-devel-3.0.0-4.i386.rpm
   kdf-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   klprfax-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm

Everthing seems to work fine now for about a week.
All important programs tested.
No complaints, so I figured that things were ok.

Unfortunately, now when I try to install a new program, such as
Kconfigure, I get an error message upon running the ./configure
command:

   [myuser at localhost kconfigure-1.1]$ ./configure
   <lots of other output removed for brevity>
   checking if Qt compiles without flags... no
   checking for moc... /usr/lib/qt3/bin/moc
   checking for uic... /usr/lib/qt3/bin/uic
   checking for rpath... yes
   checking for KDE... configure: *error*:
   in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed.
   This will fail.
   So, check this please and use another prefix!

Do I need to obtain header files for KDE3?
I installed KDE3 from RPMs on KDE.org, so I assumed that they
were complete.
Either that or my "prefix" needs fixing, whatever that is. :)
Do I need to obtain KDE3 sources?  If so, which ones?
It also occurred to me that my PATH info may need changes,
but I would not know what was missing.
I am not sure what to look for or where to start, and I want
to be able to compile, of course.

If anyone has links to help for compiling, that would
be nice.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Christian