windows without decorations and that never get focus

David Partain David.Partain at ericsson.com
Wed Apr 17 12:58:29 BST 2002

Greetings,

I have been a satisfied KDE user for a long time now.  Back in
the old days (1.x), I could set things up so that individual
windows would have no window decorations and wouldn't get focus
ever.  That disappeared with 2.x and is one of the only things
that semi-regularly annoys me.  I haven't re-looked at this issue
for probably a year but decided to try today, hence the question.

I'm currently using KDE 3.0 on a SuSE 7.3 box.  (It's way cool.)

The specific case I'm trying to solve is to start up a biff
thingo (gbiff, actually) without decorations and without
gaining focus (and it should be sticky, too).

I've tried to use kstart to get something like I want, with no
luck so far.  I've successfully --type to get variants that have
no decorations and don't gain focus, but I cannot move them from
the top-left of the screen.

This is probably a no-brainer and I'm just clueless, but I'd
be grateful if someone can clue me in to how to accomplish this.

With kind regards,

David