Truetype fonts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Apr 16 05:10:15 BST 2002

Joshua Adam Ginsberg wrote:

> This is a little odd so a good bit of explanation is in order...
>
> I run KDE 2.2.2 off of RedHat RPM's on a Dell laptop with a Radeon
> Mobility LY adapter on XF86 4.1.0 (again, RH RPM's) and Freetype 2.0.3
> (RH RPM). I've got a lot of TTF's installed in
> /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType. That font path is listen both in
> /etc/X11/fs/config and in /etc/X11/XftConfig. In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> I've got Load "freetype" included. There are no errors in XFree86.0.log
> on the load of the freetype library.
>
> In my fonts configuration in the Control Center, if I enable
> anti-aliasing fonts, then the majority of my font options disappear.
> Everything defaults to Anadale Mono. If i try to change fonts, different
> behavior ensues. Sometimes the font preview doesn't change even when I
> change fonts. For fixed font, I get only the "fixed" option when
> selecting fonts and it renders as some script font. Plus, there really
> is no anti-aliasing occuring.
>
> When I disable anti-aliasing, I can use the non ttf's included with
> XF86.
>
> How can I get truly anti-aliased true type fonts?

First, note that you are apparently using both the separate font server
for X and the internal font server in XFree86.  It should be obvious
that this won't work.  I suggest that you uninstall the xfs font server
and see if this helps.

The 75 dpi and 100 dpi fonts that come with X are bit mapped fonts.
They can not be AAed.

--
JRT