Truetype fonts

Joshua Adam Ginsberg rainman at owlnet.rice.edu
Mon Apr 15 03:22:42 BST 2002

This is a little odd so a good bit of explanation is in order...

I run KDE 2.2.2 off of RedHat RPM's on a Dell laptop with a Radeon
Mobility LY adapter on XF86 4.1.0 (again, RH RPM's) and Freetype 2.0.3
(RH RPM). I've got a lot of TTF's installed in
/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType. That font path is listen both in
/etc/X11/fs/config and in /etc/X11/XftConfig. In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
I've got Load "freetype" included. There are no errors in XFree86.0.log
on the load of the freetype library.

In my fonts configuration in the Control Center, if I enable
anti-aliasing fonts, then the majority of my font options disappear.
Everything defaults to Anadale Mono. If i try to change fonts, different
behavior ensues. Sometimes the font preview doesn't change even when I
change fonts. For fixed font, I get only the "fixed" option when
selecting fonts and it renders as some script font. Plus, there really
is no anti-aliasing occuring.

When I disable anti-aliasing, I can use the non ttf's included with
XF86.

How can I get truly anti-aliased true type fonts?

-jag

Joshua Ginsberg                 rainman at owlnet.rice.edu
Director of Technology          dirtech at sa.rice.edu
Student Association             AIM: L0stInTheDesert
Rice University, Houston, TX    Cellphone: 713.478.1769