Apt as a cure-all. Was: installation KDE3.0

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sat Apr 13 22:32:40 BST 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 02:52 pm, Amir Tal wrote:
> search for apt-get. its ported from debian to redhat, and can update your
> software, taking care of your dep's for you.

Woah!  I know a lot of people swear by the apt system, but I am disturbed by
how often I see it prescribed as a panacea.

First, and I don't know the answer to this, how does apt-get on Red Hat cope
with the fact that there are /no/ apt packages installed at first?  The first
time you try to install something is it going to go out and get (potently
older versions than your RPMs) of glibc (and probably perl and ncurses, etc)?
Like I said, I don't know, maybe it is smart enough to read your RPM
database, but I haven't seen this addressed.  How ever it works, the fact
that people suggesting apt never address it worries me.

Another thing that apt bigots don't seem to realize is that folks that are
used to RPMs are used to being able to use a cross section of RPMs from a
variety of sources.  Once you throw your lot in with apt you are stuck with a
limited number of apt resources.  And you will likely find yourself making
choices that you don't want to make.  "Hmmm, if I want to get Apache 2.0 by
apt I have to cut over to the "this stuff mostly doesn't' work" repository to
satisfy a boat-load of upstream dependencies . . . I wonder how many things
are going to break?"

RPM doesn't have a silver bullet for this problem, but you can usually get
RPMs for cutting edge software with mostly stable dependencies.  With apt it
is much harder to selectively run cutting-edge packages on a generally*
stable system.  Which, in my experience, is what the vast majority of people
actually want to do.

This is not meant as a flame or a troll, apt puts RPM to shame in a lot of
ways, but I think that if RPM is the disease and apt is the cure the disease
is preferable in a significant percentage of circumstances.

I have a final, general comment about apt that is not specific to this
situation.  That is that apt is /fabulous/ about handling deps _as long as
you stick with a single repository_.  So much of the "dependencies are
magically resolved" stuff is just as true of RPM based distros if you only
install packages off the install cd.  Yes, apt will walk up the dependency
chain and RPM won't, but both are just as subject to /real/ dependency hell
of getting packages from different sources to work together.

-Peter

*This raises another issue.  There are really two kinds of dependencies.
First, there is the simple "link-time dependencies" which boil down to "There
is no reason we can't link against an older version of this lib, but we
didn't, so you have to update."  The other is "hard dependencies" meaning "We
use feature bar of foolib extensively, and bar wasn't introduced until foolib
a.b.c."  RPMs are generally linked against whatever libs are shipped with a
specific version of a given (stable) distro.  Apt packages are generally
linked against the libs in their repository.  This often creates an
artificial need to "upgrade" a significant chunk of a system to unstable
packages when there is no technical reason to do so.