KDE3 compatibility with KDE2

akar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 12 05:02:33 BST 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:16, David OlszyƄski wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I find KDE3 the best UNIX desktop ever and thank every developer for it.
>
> But I miss two important things:
> 1. I know that there were many discussions about clipboard and its
> behaviours. I understand why it's different now. But I don't understand why
> there is nothing like `compatibility' option.
> I just want to click right mouse button on hyperlink and choose `copy into
> clipboard' and then paste it into xterm (by clicking middle button) to
> download it with wget. I can't do it now. :-((

At least upto kde3rc3 in configure of klipper you could tick "sync selection
to clipboard" which syncs the two systems. There was some talk of taking this
out for the kde3 relese though. If its not there then blame those morons who
were incapable doing something a bit different to "the way I'm used to" and
to whom turning a feature off was just too hard!! (The poor blighters)  and
who just whinged continuously. I thought it was an elegant solution easily
turned off for those who were confused by it and I hope it is still there.

> 2. Almost the same thing happens about desktop layout in `desktop switch
> applet' in kicker. Now it has desktops sorted horizontally instead of
> vertically as it was in KDE2. Why there is no compatibility option again?

How about clicking to bring up the pager and then right-clicking on it and
selecting configure pager and then selecting between
classical/vertical/horizontal. Dont these things have manuals?

--
regards,

andrew