FWD: a HOWTO for updating Red Hat 7.2 to KDE3

Duncan Haldane f.duncan.m.haldane at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 8 06:52:01 BST 2002

Hi,  this howto was originally posted on the kde-linux list, but it was
suggested there that it might be useful on this list too.
(Even though it is Red Hat 7.2 specific, sorry).
Updated HOWTO for upgrading Red Hat 7.2 to use KDE3.
v1.03 2002-04-08

I. Introduction.

Do NOT rely on these instructions for installing KDE-2 on Red Hat
7.1 or earlier.  This is only for Red Hat 7.2

This is a major update, and is not an official Red Hat update.
If you want to be supported, wait for the next Red Hat release which
will have KDE-3

You can successfully update using the KDE-3 RedHat-7.2 rpms, which are
available at kde.org mirrors,

As of 2002/04/07, there are some "unexpected" issues to deal with:
(i)   You need an updated libxslt rpm from rawhide, that
      should have also been supplied at kde.org, but wasn't.
      (maybe this will soon be remedied?)
(ii)  the updated hwdata rpm conficts with Xconfigurator
      from RH7.2.  This is not really a problem but can
      be confusing.  It's only needed it you install hotplug
      usb support for kamera and kooka (digital camera and
      scanner frontends for gphoto and sane).
(iii) If you need to support "legacy" kde2 applications not
      yet ported to kde3, you will need to get and rebuild qt2 and
      kde2-compat rpms from  rawhide.

These problems may eventually get fixed in the kde.org RPMS..
-------------------------------------
2.  Collecting the RPMS.
Download the rpms from the kde.org mirror:
They are in .../kde/stable/3.0/Red Hat/i386

An updated libxslt-1.0.15 is needed to make kde3's help system work
correctly. Until it gets added to the rpms at kde.org,
go to a Red Hat "rawhide" mirror, like
 http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS
and download libxslt-1.0.15-1.src.rpm
You can also find qt2-*.src.rpm and kde2-compat*.src.rpm
there, if it turns out you need legacy kde2 support.

You should also first upgrade rpm to rpm-4.0.4-7x.
This is a recent Official RedHat 7.2 update.   You may need
to install other Official RedHat 7.2 updates as well.

-------------------------------------
3. preparing to upgrade KDE.

collect the kde.org rpms into an empty directory, then
separate them into three groups, putting two of these into
subdirectories:

*** group (A): QT3 rpms

mkdir qt_rpms
mv qt*rpm qt_rpms

*** group (B): KDE3 rpms (except kooka, kamera, kdevelop,kdesdk)

mkdir kde_rpms
mv k*rpm kde_rpms
mv [ar,ce,lisa,no]*rpm kde_rpms
mv kde_rpms/[koo,kam,kdev,kdesdk]* .

*** group (C): the rest (these stay in the original directory)
(includes kooka, kamera, kdevelop, kdesdk)

If you are not planning on compiling kde applications, now move all
*-devel* files from group (B) to group (C).

mv kde_rpms/kde*devel*rpm .

-------------------------------------
4. Installing the required non-kde RPMS

First install, from group (C) in the top directory,

rpm -Uvh chkconfig* cups* ntsysv* libxml2-2*

Now go to the qt-rpms subdirectory:

cd qt_rpms
rpm -ivh qt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh qt-Xt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm

Note the "rpm -ivh" not "-Uvh".  This leaves the older qt-2.x
libraries in place.  Some other applications may need them.
Next, upgrade any other qt components you have installed:

rpm -Fvh qt-d* qt-s*

This will update qt-devel, qt-designer, qt-static, if they were
previously installed.

If you have database applications MySQL, ODBC, PostgreSQL installed,
you may want the new qt add-ons that go with these.

rpm -Uvh qt-MySQL*                 (optional)
rpm -Uvh qt-ODBC*                  (optional)
rpm -Uvh qt-PostgreSQL*            (optional)

Don't worry if any of these fail.  It just means you don't have the
correponding database application installed.

If you plan to compile any kde applications, make sure qt-devel is installed
rpm -Uvh qt-devel*

This is a good time to install the updated libxslt library, although this
could wait till after the installation is complete. If you don't have it,
get its source rpm from a rawhide mirror, as described above.

rpm --rebuild libxslt-1.0.15-1.src.rpm
cp /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/libxslt*1.0.15-1* .
rpm -Fvh libxslt*

5.  Installing the new kde RPMS

Now exit kde2, shut down X, and remove the kde-2.2 rpms.

>From a console, if kdm is running, shut down X with
telinit 3

Make a list of currently installed kde-2.x rpms:

rpm -qa | grep "^kde" | grep -v kde1 > list

check the output file ("cat list") to make sure that nothing you want to
keep is unexpectedly included.

If the list is OK, try to remove the old kde-2 installation

rpm -e $(<list)

I got some "... is needed by ..." dependency complaints from other
kde2 packages, and just (rpm -e)'d the packages that complained.
till "rpm -e $(<list)" worked.   If the packages that are complaining
are kde2 applications that are not part of  kde3, and you will still
need them after the update, don't remove them, and instead use

rpm -e $(<list) --nodeps

after removing all the other legacy kde packages you don't need.
We will make the remining legacy packages happy again after the
upgrade, by installing the kde2-compat library.

Now go to the directory where you put the (B) group.

cd ../kde-rpms

Install kdebase, kdelibs plus anything else you want.    This will
be the kde-3 distribution, except for kdevelop, kooka and kamera.
I installed the lot, but in principle you can/should now be more selective.
Move any packages you dont want to install to the parent directory
(mv <file> ..), and install the rest.

rpm -Uvh *rpm

If you are installing the kde*devel* files, they will need
qt-devel-3.0* to be installed.  If there are any other unresolved
dependencies, they are supplied by RedHat 7.2 rpms that you haven't
yet installed. In my case, kdepim-pilot needed (I think) the RH7.2
pilot-link rpm (wich provides libpisock.so.4).
I don't need this app, and so moved kdepim-pilot up to the "A" group.
After that there were no more dependency problems, and kde3 installed OK.

Now restart X and you should have kde3 working.
( "telinit 5",  or "startx" )

6.  Installing remaining KDE3 rpms:
Now install what you need from the remaining RPMS:

6.1   kdevelop, kdesdk  (for programmers developing kde applications)
This requires that qt-devel, qt-designer and qt-static are installed.
rpm -Uvh qt-devel*  kde*-devel*  (if necessary)
rpm -Uvh qt-designer* qt-static* (if necessary)
rpm -Uvh kdevelop* kdesdk*

6.2  kooka. (a scanner front end) This requires that sane-backends
is installed.   There is a sane-backends update in RedHat updates for
RH7.2.
rpm -Uvh libusb*
rpm -Uvh libkscan* kooka*

6.3 kamera.  A frontend for gphoto2.
rpm -Uvh libusb*  (if needed)
rpm -Uvh gphoto2-2* kamera*

6.4 hotplug. (support for autoloading usb drivers when you plug in
a usb device, supplied for use with scanners or usb digital cameras)
First install hwdata*.   Unfortunately, this conflicts with Xconfigurator,
if it is installed.   It is just an updated list of hardware, so this
is probably NOT a problem.  Just "force" it.

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps hwdata*
rpm -Uvh usbutils* hotplug*

If you are unhappy about having used  "--force", now uninstall
Xconfigurator to remove the conflict:
rpm -e Xconfigurator  XFree86-xf86cfg    (optional)

6.5  Support for python-based kde apps:
If you need this:

rpm -Uvh PyQt* sip* lib*python*

7. adding legacy kde2 support.

If you forced the removal of kde-2.x with --nodeps, you have some
legacy applications that still require the "legacy" kde-2 libraries.
You now need to install the kde2-compat library from rawhide,
rebuilt from source, unless it becomes available at kde.org

>From the rawhide mirror, get qt2*rpm , and kde2-compat*rpm.

You will also need kdoc-2.2.2 to rebuild kde2-compat.
This is an official Red Hat update that was released with
the official kde-2.2.2 rpms as an "enhancement" for RedHat 7.2.

First rebuild qt2:

rpm --rebuild qt2*src.rpm
cp /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/qt2* .

Now replace the qt-2.x package that you left installed, with
the qt2 package (exactly the same libraries!)

rpm -e --nodeps qt-2.3.1
rpm -e --nodeps qt-Xt-2.3.1
rpm -Uvh qt2-2.3.1* qt2-Xt* qt2-devel*

Now rebuild and install kde2-compat.
If kdoc-2.2.2 is not installed, install it first:

rpm -Uvh kdoc-2.2.2*   (if necessary)
rpm --rebuild kde2-compat*src.rpm
cp /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/kde2-compat* .
rpm -Uvh kde2-compat*
rpm -e kdoc

Enjoy kde3 on RedHat 7.2
duncan_haldane at users.sourceforge.net