startkde errors

Stuart Matheson samathes at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 8 04:26:51 BST 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Sean McGlynn wrote:

> Hello Stuart,
>
> Just for starters, can you (as root) delete the /tmp/.ICE-unix directory and
> anything in it and then simply create the directory again (with root
> ownership). Also, in your usual users home directory, delete anything
> beginning with .DCOP and the file .ICEauthority. As you're starting from new,
> also delete the .kde directory that may have gotten partially created (just
> for the hell of it :-)
>
> Does this make any difference? If not, do you get any different error
> messages from your earlier email or do you just get the same?
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

ok, that made a difference :)

I'm still getting the blank gray screen but now I get a 'Couldnt start
kmserver' error box when I try to start kde though. I'm also getting
errors like these on the console:

_KDE_IceTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_KDE_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_KDE_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
Cannot establish any listening sockets
DCOPServer self-test failed.