Kmail

Robert Charbonneau etriaph at kdesktop.org
Sun Apr 7 22:49:07 BST 2002

On April 7, 2002 04:21 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> On Sunday 07 April 2002 03:02 pm, Bob Ramsey wrote:
> > Speaking of KMail, I haven't had a chance to look through the docs yet,
> > but does anyone know if this version gives you the ability to select
> > which messages are left on the server and which are deleted from the
> > server?  Or is it still an all or nothing kind of setup.  I like using
> > Eudora to right click on a message and change the server status to leave
> > so that when I get work mail at home, or vice versa, I can still get the
> > message on the right computer.
>
> Sounds like you need IMAP.  At my last job I just pulled all my work (and
> in fact all my mail) to my own IMAP server with fetchmail then used KMail
> and SquirrelMail to access it over IMAP.  Worked beautifully.
>
> I wish POP would just die, but ISPs like it because it uses the user's
> disk, not theirs. :-(

POP in my opinion is a better protocol for mail transfer.  When you have a
mailbox that holds, let's say, 2000 messages, the IMAP protocol is stupid
slow.  POP also reduces the amount of mail that you transfer at any given
point and time.  To read mail on an IMAP server you either have to retrieve
it every time you want to read it, or cache it which means you may as well
use POP.

Besides, I don't like the idea of my mail being on a mail server that gets
1000 hits every ten minutes.  I'd rather it be on my HD where I can back it
up every three weeks.

> -Peter

"You've got to cry without weeping,
 Talk without speaking,