KDE3 Fonts - I only want XFT!

Timothy R Butler kde at uninetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 5 05:11:29 BST 2002

Hi everyone,
  I have two problems with my fonts under KDE3. First all the fonts that are
anti-aliased by XFT are listed twice - once as (for example) "Arial
[Monotype]" and then again as "Arial [Xft]" (i.e. once with the correct
foundry, once under the foundry name "Xft"). Both are anti-aliased. Is there
a way to hide the duplicate "[Xft]" entries?
  Secondly, QT3 seems to be willing to show both scalable (pretty anti-aliased
fonts) and bitmap (ugly non-anti-aliased fonts) rather than the old QT2
behavor of hiding bitmap fonts. This would be all well and good, except some
sites request a bitmap font (such as Helvetica) before a scalable one (like
Arial). This means that some sites I visit aren't totally anti-aliased any
more... Is there a way to make QT3 act like QT2 and refuse to show bitmap
fonts?
  I guess I could just remove bitmap fonts totally from my font path, but I'd
rather stick to a QT-centric solution rather then one that will also effect
other apps like the Gimp.

  Thanks,
       Tim