Installing KDE3

Iztok Kobal iztok.kobal at telemach.net
Thu Apr 4 21:38:15 BST 2002

John Sturtz wrote:

> Sorry if this is a total newbie question, but somehow this sort of
> thing almost always goes wrong when I try it.
>
> I'm running KDE2.2/SuSE 7.2, and thought I might try installing KDE3.
> I see that SuSE has a site with rpm's for 7.2, but somehow, after
> reading such

ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_whatever

is currently having only KDE2 and KDE3b3 in the experimental
subdirectory. So for KDE3 try the ftp.kde.org or better some mirror from

http://www.kde.org/ftpmirrors.html

> documentation as I could find, it's not clear to me ... which ones do
> I need to get? All of them?

For running KDE3 applications on e.g KDE2 you must have kdelibs
For having KDE3 desktop you must have kdebase
These two need a lot of dependencies which you can find in the base
directory along with these two above
Now you can run already installed KDE1 and KDE2 applications but you are
not satisfied - you need KDE3 applications
So download application rpms (not many of them yet - multimedia,
graphics, koffice, ...) - not all, the ones you need.
And if you are developer, you would also need some whatever-devel.rpm-s
besides the kdevelop

> And then is it a simple matter of rpm -Uvh *.rpm?

I suggest that you start with the rpm -ivh whatever.rpm (e.g. rpm -ivh
kdelibs.rpm)
Why? First of all (I might be wrong but anyway, it was so with the KDE1
and KDE2), KDE3 is not upgrade but basically another desktop - it
installs beside the first two.
And secondly, the result of the instruction above will tell you what
dependencies you do not have. And then you start with the first
dependency in the list, find it somewhere (KDE3, CD, ftp.suse.com ,
rpmfind.net) and try to install it with the same kind of instruction -
and you get the answer that you do not have some more dependencies of
this dependency etc. etc. etc. ... (for few hours). But you are on the
safe side this way.
You use -U when it goes for upgrading the already installed package and
you use the --force -i or --force -U when it goes for the different
package containing the updated versions of the files that have already
been installed by another package.

However, it is very unsafe to simply issue the rpm --force --nodeps -Uvh
*.rpm as suggested on the www.kde.org or www.suse.com - the system would
not start with the new KDE at least

> Thanks.

Good luck - I am too waiting for the stable SuSE build since the errors
are allegedly present right now. I just saw that kdebase was updated few
hours ago on ftp://download.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0/SuSE/i386/ so
better wait for few days.

Iztok

--
Iztok Kobal