Installing KDE3

Tom Wesley tawesley at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 20:43:48 BST 2002

On Thursday 04 April 2002 9:04 pm, John Sturtz wrote:
> Sorry if this is a total newbie question, but somehow this sort of thing
> almost always goes wrong when I try it.
>
> I'm running KDE2.2/SuSE 7.2, and thought I might try installing KDE3.  I
> see that SuSE has a site with rpm's for 7.2, but somehow, after reading
> such documentation as I could find, it's not clear to me ... which ones do
> I need to get?  All of them?  And then is it a simple matter of rpm -Uvh
> *.rpm?
>
> Thanks.
>
> /John

I believe that there are still problems with the SuSE rpm's.
- From SLE

This is a showstopper warning about KDE3.

The SuSE build of KDE3 for 7.3 is NOT up to normal SuSE standards.

These things will most likely break:

        aRts ( audio )
        javascript focushandler in konqueror
        non-7bit ( i.e. EIGHT bit ) fonts when used as base language
                ex. Icelandic/Icelandic -> broken base fonts.

If you are not comfortable changing quite a few ( about five or six :) scripts
in /etc,
one in /usr/X11R6/bin and to fiddle and hope for the things listed above to
work, you
should NOT install the 3.0.0 version !

All have been warned and I have been burnt.

- -tosi

Hope this helps,
Tom
- --
Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny--
	Did you ever try buying them without money?
		-- Ogden Nash