kde3 final ... won't start ...

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jasongeo.com
Thu Apr 4 09:39:11 BST 2002

This is (mildly) disappointing/frustrating/irritating

I just downloaded the kde3 final from suse
for suse 7.3

    and it refuses to startup (dcopserver errors)

    AAAarrrrggggghhhhhhhh  ;) ....

    also,

    the ksplash screen is the same image as on kde2 ??

    Is that what it's supposed to be ?

so I switched back to kde3-rc3 (rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *rpm)
and that works like a charm.

Anyone have any ideas ???

On a related note,
suse's readme sais that the kde3 for 7.3 is built against XF4.1
(for obvious reasons) and that therefore the render extension is likely
not as stable as could be.

Will there be a 7.3 kde3 built against XF4.2 ?

(and yes, I know I can d/l the source and built it myself
 but I think there will be many more people in the same situation as I am,
 who would like to see this,
 and while Im confident I can built a correct kde3 like that, Im not so
 sure that I can built and rpm package it in such a way that everyone else
 will benefit from it).

Currently listening to: Golden Earing - Radar Love

	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	Some say the end is near.
 =`\<,	Some say we'll see armageddon soon