I want to register for at identity.kde.org without running recaptcha

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jun 6 11:55:17 BST 2023

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 12:17 PM Ian Kelling <iank at fsf.org> wrote:

> This email was at the bottom of the page
> https://identity.kde.org/index.php?r=registration/enterDetails
> There was also a link
> for contacting syadmins, but it required having an identity login.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

> If you won't remove the captcha, perhaps you could manually create an
> account for me Ian Kelling <iank at fsf.org>.

While we can't remove the reCAPTCHA (as our services are the target of
significant abuse unfortunately), we can create an account for you manually.
It looks like from our records that you started the account creation
process previously, but didn't complete the activation.

I've now resent your account activation email.

> When I submit the form, it fails telling me to run the captcha. I see
> recaptcha in the list of blocked proprietary javascript in my browser.
> To understand some of the problems with recaptcha, see
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

Sadly reCAPTCHA is a reluctantly accepted fact of life, due to the
significant amount of abuse our services receive.
(We would have to blacklist freemail providers, and even reCAPTCHA isn't
bullet proof as nothing stops a human spam bot - sadly something that is
ever prevalent these days)

Cheers,
Ben